Wednesday, June 21, 2006

What's In A Name?

As a kid it was very important to me that no one called me Deborah... especially my older sisters who loved to pronounce De Bra! My friends would call me Debbie but really great friends would call me Deb! When I went to Israel I was spoken to about my name... Deborah. The words were very awesome and I started to want to fill that huge name! Deborah was a brave bold woman who feared her Lord. She was motivated and humble. She was every bit submissive loving wife and yet also a mighty warrior for Christ. She was a prophetess and one of the only women if not the only woman judge in the Bible. Oh to really be Deborah! I'm not striving to be a judge or prophetess... though prohetess would be pretty cool... but to be a fearless bold warrior for my Jesus! We don't think much of names in this society, but I believe names really are important and I believe they were meant for us long before we were ever born. God is the same yesterday, today, and forever... names were hugely significant then and I believe they are now. In my own limited experience with names I can say it seems most people with the same name have many similarities... for example I've never met a mean Josh, I've never met an "ugly" Stephanie, I've never met a Tom who didn't have a great sense of humor! Okay so these may be little corny observations... but it's a lazy kind of day with time to ponder little oddities! Just one more thing on the subject... I do believe my name thing as true, because the Bible speaks of us getting a new name... I wonder what I'll be called... I love the name Savannah and the meaning too... Savannah Elizabeth perhaps :)... but for now I'll just strive to be the best at being Deborah Jean!

3 Comments:

Blogger God Is Love said...

That is so awesome! It's good you love your name. I like it too. You are also an amazing woman who fears her Lord, so I guess that names fits you really well. 'Auntie Bebbie" as Grace would say. Haha!

Love You!
Sherri

6:11 PM  
Blogger Brown-eyed Girl said...

Debbie...it was Deborrah...and we were Rita Pita and Michael...haha...the things we do to taunt each other...it is a wonder that we survive to be adults...I drove like a maniac and we did the scariest things as kids yet God must have a purpose for our lives...he assigned two guardian angels to me...humh?? I wonder why...haha. Love ya Debbie

6:25 PM  
Blogger christy said...

Auntie Debbie...what beautiful words about names. I can't wait until the day we're in Heaven and Christ, as it says in Revelation...will give us a new name. God is so good...His ways are unsearchable.

6:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home